Upcoming Events & Other Updates
Fathers’ Day – This Sunday, June 17
Men love flowers too! Make a handsome sunflower bouquet for dear old dad ($1.50/stem) grown by Nature’sWayGardens. Our herbs pepper and tomatoes plants would make a lovely gift for Fathers’ Day on sale for $2.50 each. And to help pollinate your dad’s garden, encourage native bees to make a home in your yard with an Isabee’s native bee habitat ($18 each).
Sustainable Backyard Tour – Sunday, June 24
The Second Annual Sustainable Backyard Tour is a free, self-guided, open-house-style tour of sustainable outdoor spaces in and around St. Louis. The tour includes a range of green living practices such as rainwater harvesting, composting, keeping chickens, bees, or goats, using renewable energy, permeable surfaces, recycled art and more.
Maude’s Market is a sponsor and one of the yards featured on the tour. This is the third summer we have worked on the design and layout of our garden adjacent to the Market. Currently, the garden consists of these features:
- A permaculture garden with heirloom fruits and vegetables from Baker Creek. This produce will be available for sale in the Market this summer.
- A solar-powered Electric Fertilizer experiment
- Hay bale compost bins
- Rain barrels
- A honey bee hive
- A variety of native plants for food and housing to attract native pollinators
We will also offer samples of cold iced tea from Traveling Tea and a restroom is available for Sustainable Backyard participants. We look forward to seeing you!
Spring CSA Ends June 23 – Summer CSA Begins July 6
It’s hard to believe, but the last pick up for the Spring CSA is right around the corner — June 22 and 23. We will take a one week break and close the Market on Wednesday June 3, re-opening Thursday, July 5. Visit the Maude’s Market website to sign up for the 12 week summer CSA which starts July 6 and 7. And don’t forget about our customer referral program, click here to read all about the benefits.
What’s New & On Sale
New this week:
- Large, sweet peaches from Double Star in central Illinois, $2.25/lbs
Our sale items this week include:
- Marcoot Jersey Creamery mozzarella – $5 each (regular $6)
- Goatsbeard Farm
- Pepper rounds and herb rounds – $6 each (regular $7.75)
- Feta cheese and plain rounds – $5.75 each (regular $7.50)
- Just Sweets biscotti – $3/package (regular $4.25)
- Beets – $2/lbs (regular $3/lbs)
- Bosnian ‘star bread – $2.75 each (regular $3.50)
- Bay leaves – 1.50/ounce (regular $2)
- Lettuce – $1.50 each (regular $3)
- Green tomatoes – $1.50/lbs (regular $2.75)
- Companion pretzel four-packs (frozen) – $3.50 (regular $4)
- Berhanu lentil dips – $4.25 (regular $5)
Spring CSA Menu – June 15 & 16
- Oyster OR Shitaki Mushrooms, Ozark Forest Mushroom, ½ lbs
- Veggies & large shares receive ⅔ lbs
- Please note: If you want the shitaki mushrooms, please arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday.
- Cucumbers, Yellow Wood Farm, 2 (Large shares receive 3)
- HUGE hot house tomatoes, Yellow Wood Farm, 1 (Large shares receive 2)
- Sweet onion, Yellow Wood Farm, 1
- For Veggies:
- Summer squash, 2
- Green beans, 1 lbs OR Sugar snap peas, ½ lbs
- For Gluten Free:
- Blueberries, 1 pint OR 4 summer squash
- For Large Shares:
- Garlic scapes, 1 bunch
- Ground Turkey, Buttonwood Farm, 1 lbs (2 lbs for large shares)
- Companion bread, Choice of 5 Grain, Rye, Kalamata Olive, Multigrain Sandwich, Sourdough Sandwich OR Beaucaire Sandwich (none for gluten free)
- Cut sunflowers, Nature’sWayGardens, 3
Warm Mushroom Salad With Feta
- Olive oil, about 3 tbsps
- Mushrooms ½ lbs
- Garlic scape, chopped, 1
- Fresh thyme, chopped, about 2 tbsps
- Lemon juice, about ½ a lemon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Lettuce, shredded, 1 head
- Tomato diced, about ½ a large hot house tomato
- Cucumber diced, about ½ a cucumber
- Sweet onion, diced, about ¼ an onion
- Goatsbeard Farm feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the mushrooms and sauté over a high heat for 5 mins stirring occasionally. Add the garlic scape, thyme and lemon juice and seasoning to taste, stir well then remove from the heat.
- Arrange the lettuce in a large bowl, scatter the remaining ingredients over the lettuce, then add the mushrooms and all the pan juices. Toss to mix and serve with crusty Companion bread.
Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
- Ground turkey, 1 lbs
- Sweet onion, finely chopped, aout 1 cup
- Garlic scape, minced, 2
- Duck egg, 1
- Bread crumbs, 1 cup
- Marcoot cave aged heritage cheese, grated, ½ cup
- Fresh parsley, chopped, ½ cup
- Fresh basil, chopped, ⅛ cup
- Olive oil, ⅛ cup
- Milk, ¼ cup
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Marcoot Jersey Creamery mozzarella, diced ¼ to ½ inch cubes
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F
- Place the ground turkey, onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, cave aged heritage cheese, parsley, basil, olive oil, milk, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix until evenly blended, then form into 1 ½ to 2 inch meatballs. Make a hole in the meatball with your finger and place a mozzarella cube in the hole. Seal the meatball around the cheese and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle more olive oil over the meatballs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce and on Midwest Pasta.