Sunday, June 17, 2012
Our herbs ($3 each), pepper and tomatoes plants ($3.50 each) would make a lovely gift for Fathers’ Day. And to help pollinate your dad’s vegetable garden, encourage native bees to make a home in your yard with an Isabee’s native bee habitat ($18).
Sustainable Backyard Tour
Sunday, June 24, 2012 from 11am-4pm
Click here to register for this free tour
The Second Annual Sustainable Backyard Tour is a free, self-guided, open-house-style tour of sustainable outdoor spaces in and around St. Louis. The tour includes a range of green living practices such as rainwater harvesting, composting, keeping chickens, bees, or goats, using renewable energy, permeable surfaces, recycled art and more.
Maude’s Market is a sponsor and one of the yards featured on the tour. This is the third summer we have worked on the design and layout of our garden adjacent to the Market. Currently, the garden consists of these features:
- A permaculture garden with heirloom fruits and vegetables from Baker Creek. This produce will be available for sale in the Market this summer.
- A solar-powered Electric Fertilizer experiment
- Hay bale compost bins
- Rain barrels
- A honey bee hive
- A variety of native plants for food and housing to attract native pollinators
We will also offer samples of cold iced tea from Traveling Tea and a restroom is available for Sustainable Backyard participants. We look forward to seeing you!
Spring CSA Ends June 23 – Summer CSA Begins July 6
It’s hard to believe, but the last pick up for the Spring CSA is right around the corner — June 22 and 23. We will take a one week break and close the Market on Wednesday June 3, re-opening Thursday, July 5. Visit the Maude’s Market website to sign up for the 12 week summer CSA which starts July 6 and 7. And don’t forget about our customer referral program, click here to read all about the benefits.
What’s New & On Sale
New this week:
- Fresh and fresh-frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast ($5.75/lbs) and whole cut chicken ($4.15/lbs) from Cock & Bull Farms
- From South St. Louis City, Julia Gallo’s super sweet ‘pie’ peaches cost only $2/lbs
- Windcrest Dairy’s 6oz fruit yogurt cups are available in both homestyle ($1.90/ea) and Greek style ($2.25/ea). Flavors include blueberry, peach, raspberry & strawberry.
- Free-range chicken eggs from The Humble Homemaker of Steelville, MO are only $4/dozen
Our sale items this week include:
- Windcrest’s Homestyle Plain Yogurt (24oz) – $4.75 (regular $5.25)
- Windcrest’s Homestyle Vanilla Yogurt (24oz) – $5.50 (regular $6.15)
Spring CSA Menu – June 8 & 9
- Blueberries, Double Star, 1 pint
- Sugar snap peas, Double Star, ¾ lbs
- Green beans, Double Star, 1 lbs
- Garlic Scapes, Double Star, 1 bunch
- Romaine or butterhead lettuce, Two Morrow’s Farm, 1 head (Gluten free only)
- Asparagus, Scharf’s Farm, 1 bunch (Vegetarians only)
- Choice: mizuna ¼ lbs; beets 1 lbs; green tomatoes 1 lbs; summer squash 1 lbs (Choice of one for vegetarian, choice of three for large share)
- Chicken Grill Pack (drum, thighs & wings), Cock & Bull Farm (Two for large share)
- Bosnian ‘Star’ Bread from Zlatno Zito, formerly Golden Grain Bakery (None for Gluten free)
- Grandma’s Nuts Original Mix, ¼ lbs bag – Grandma recommends putting her mix into Windcrest yogurt or for topping a salad
Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas & Garlic Scapes
- Sugar snap peas, ¾ lbs
- Garlic scapes (trim to same length of beans, remove seed pods), 6
- Olive oil, 1 tbs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, 1 tbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add scapes and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain the pot, add very cold (ice) water and place scapes in the water.
- In a separate pot, do the same to the beans.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat, add scapes and saute for 2 minutes. Add the beans, toss together, cover the skillet and cook for 2 more minutes or until scapes are crisp-tender.
- Season with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
Grilled Chicken with Green Beans
- Olive oil
- Chicken Grill Pack
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green beans, 1 lbs
- Heat grill to medium-high. Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- While grilling the chicken, toss the green beans with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the beans, turning them often, until tender and charred, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sever together.
Blueberry & Goat Cheese Toast
- Bosnian ‘star’ bread (slices and lightly toasted), 1 section
- Plain goat cheese, 4 oz. (available in store)
- Honey, 1-2 tsp (available in store)
- Pumpkin pie spice, 1tbsp (available in store)
- Sea salt, pinch (available in store)
- Blueberries, 1 pint
- Whisk goat cheese, honey, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt together. Spread on toast and top with blueberries.