St. Louis’ locally-owned, independent businesses and homegrown chains are essential to the St. Louis area’s unique character and prosperity. The businesses, non-profit groups, and citizen members of BUILD St. Louis, including Maude’s Market, are essential to maintaining a strong region. Help BUILD St. Louis — spread the word about buying locally!
1. A Stronger Local Economy - Compared to non-local chains, local independents and homegrown chains reinvest about THREE TIMES more of their revenue and profits back into our local economy. And dollars you spend at locals have a “multiplier effect” – much more of your money cycles back through other St. Louis-based businesses, enriching our community.
2. Appealing Local Character - Local character gives St. Louis an economic advantage over generic “Anytown” communities. In an increasingly homogenized, large chain- and franchise-dominated world, preserving our unique local businesses and distinctive character will keep St. Louis city and county appealing destinations – and better places to live and work.
3. More Local Jobs - Local indies create more jobs in their own communities, and buy more goods and services from other locally owned independent businesses, helping sustain even more St. Louis-area jobs.
4. Utilizing Local Tax Dollars - Shopping and dining more at local indies in local business districts (and less at malls and big box stores) means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money available to beautify our neighborhoods. Also, buying locally instead of online at non-locals ensures that your sales taxes are reinvested where they belong: St. Louis.
5. A Larger Middle Class - Local entrepreneurship fuels economic innovation and prosperity, and serves as a key way for St. Louis-area families to move out of low-wage jobs and into the middle class.
6. More Responsible Decision-Making - Local ownership ensures that important decisions are made locally by people who live in our area and will feel the direct impacts of major decisions that affect St. Louis.
7. A Greener Environment - Local independent businesses better utilize land and existing buildings in the St. Louis area, helping to sustain vibrant, compact, walkable neighborhoods and town centers – while reducing sprawl, car use, habitat loss, and air and water pollution.
8. Community Well-Being - St. Louis-based businesses build strong communities by sustaining our neighborhoods, linking neighbors in a web of economic and social relationships, and contributing to St. Louis-area causes at a higher rate than non-locals here.
9. Unique Choices at Good Prices - Local indies aren’t stuck with national-chain formulas. They use their own creativity, passion, and knowledge to provide great selections and services tailored to their St. Louis-area customers.
10. Better Service - Local owners and employees really know their businesses and their customers, and offer more personalized service and relevant advice. You’re important to them, and it shows!